- Use an Energy Monitor: Measure your way to savings with an energy monitor.Research has found that such info leads consumers to reduce their electricity consumption significantly.
- Pay less for hot water by insulating pipes: Check to see if your pipes are warm to the touch. If so, they are good candidates for insulation.Pipe insulation is often R-3 or, for batt styles that you wrap around, a stronger R-7.
- Upgrade your appliances: If your furnace is old you could save a lot of money in the long run by upgrading to a new unit.
- Use a Laptop Instead of a Desktop: Laptop computers draw only 15 to 25 watts during regular use, as compared to the 150 watts used by a conventional desktop computer and monitor.
- Get an Energy Audit: An energy audit will help you determine exactly how much juice you are using, and will identify ways you can reduce it, through better insulation and other techniques.